Exclusive eBooks, Software Solutions, Quality Guaranteed

Web NukeBiz
Welcome to NukeBiz · Members
Amazon
show cart or checkout0 items
Cart Value: 0.00

Forums » DragonflyCMS Projects » BlogsPlus » British Army Rumour Service blogs
British Army Rumour Service blogs
An update of BlogsPlus which is an update of Blogs.
Topic initiation via Bugger.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index »  Community » BlogsPlus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Jim
New Poster
New Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:19 pm
Post subject: British Army Rumour Service blogs

Good afternoon,

I have been directed to this site by one of the COs of ARRSE, the British Army Rumours Service.

I understand that someone from here has been very helpful in mending the blog section of ARRSE, which had come under attack by spammers and was therefore deactivated for several months. For that many thanks.

Since the blog section was reactivated there seems to be a lack of comments by readers. This might be because people have fallen out of the habit of visiting the blogs, but it might also be because the ability to post a comment is no longer as intuitive as it once was.

For over a year I have maintained a blog and enjoyed both the writing process and the reading of comments, but of late none of my entries have attracted any response. Of course this might be because my writing is as dull as ditchwater, but there is the possibility that people are finding it difficult to post a comment.

My question is this; is there any way to make it more easy to comment on a blog without compromising site security?

Thank you,

LJ

Lucky_Jim please enter your server specs in your user profile! Crying or Very sad
Phoenix
Chairman
Chairman

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Post subject: Re: British Army Rumour Service blogs

hmm, that was bad timing - I just released 9.1.3 about 10 minutes ago Laughing

Yes, I have to agree with you, not necessarily on the quality of your blogs, but I was thinking while making the recent changes, that commenting isn't intuitive.

In the interim, while I think about it, I've made a quick change to the wording from "Check Comments" to "View/Add Comments" and done a hasty update of the update - this probably won't address the issue but is a step in the direction.

In view of your preference for comments, no doubt you won't be using the latest feature - the ability to exclude users from commenting Smile

In the longer term my intent was to restrict the initial opening to a certain number of characters, or have a "short description" at that opening, and provide the full display, including comments when something like "Read More" is clicked.

Phoenix's server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS)
View user's profile Visit poster's website ICQ Number Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Lucky_Jim
New Poster
New Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Thank you for the impressively speedy response.

I probably won't exclude people from making comments as I'm fortunate enough not to have attracted any bad ones (yet). Actually, I enjoy the feedback I used to get.

I also understand that the site moderators now have the ability to delete/amend blogs and comments which, if exercised, will weed out the useless one-liners and irrelevant nonsense that sometimes creeps in.

As an aside, only after visiting this forum do I have the vaguest inkling of how much work it takes to run a web site such as ARRSE.

Once again, thank you.

Lucky_Jim please enter your server specs in your user profile! Crying or Very sad
Phoenix
Chairman
Chairman

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:53 pm

You are most welcome.

Once I work out what I think is the best way to go about it, I'll update this site's Blog and post a comment in this topic, which will notify you of the event.

And yes, the guys at ARRSE do a pretty good job of managing and protecting what is a very large forum Smile

View user's profile Visit poster's website ICQ Number Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Phoenix
Chairman
Chairman

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:28 am

Well, I haven't progressed this aspect much further just yet - I'm hopeful that the "Discuss This" option may actually lead to the desired result Question

BadCO
Director
Director

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:41 pm

I think so too - Lucky Jim is currently involved in the testing that we are doing with 9.1.4 on RearParty. We're also getting some good blogs on there too which is great to see!

BadCO's server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS)
Linux/2.2.4/5.0.37/5.2/9.1.2.1
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index »  Community » BlogsPlus
Page 1 of 1